First opening it’s doors on 16 July 1948, it was originally built as a NAAFI (Naval, Army and Air Force Institution) club for service personnel based in the nearby Brompton Barracks and Naval yard.
Costing £150,000, it was opened by the Commander-in-Chief, The Nore, Admiral Sir Harold Burrough, compromising of 200 single, and 48 double rooms, a nursery and playroom, games room, restaurant, tavern bar, 3 flats and, one of the finest ballrooms in the country.
Moreover, our royal association doesn’t start and end with the hotel’s name, one of our very first visitors was King George VI!
Unfortunately, the NAAFI club closed it’s doors for the last time on the 28 July 1962, after many of the servicemen had been taken out of Medway, rendering the club unprofitable.
After a few attempts to bring the building back to life in various guises, it was finally taken over by the family in 1980 and we are the very same family that run The King Charles Hotel today. We are immensely proud of how far we have come: from the deserted and derelict building that we bought as a family, to the enviable reputation we have established now within our community.
During our time, the hotel has undergone significant renovation, creating our 3 star hotel with excellent en suite rooms, Aurora Restaurant, Lounge Bar, event facilities and great wedding packages, we have something for everyone.